Monday 20 January 2014

CLIO Waterproof Pencil Liner in Killer Black Review

Hope you all had a great new years! *laughs nervously*

So I may have accidentally abandonned this blog for a long while since my last post in early October. This is because I wanted to focus on updating my Korea blog more as well as be able to balance a social life and uni work. I know, I actually have a social life in Korea *le gasp*
But now that it's Winter break, and a majority of my newly made friends have now left me forever since they only came to study for one semester (*cries*), I now have time to update you guys on my latest experiences with Korean cosmetics! Huzzah!

So let's start off with a product that I have a love-hate relationship with. The CLIO Waterproof Pencil Liner in Killer Black!

CLIO Waterproof Pencil Liner in Killer Black. The black end of the pencil is the sharpener.

Bought from Olive Young when it was on sale and reduced to 9,000 (RRP 12,000₩).
I was getting tired of my glitzy CLIO Gelpresso liner set, in which I will attempt to review really soon, and really wanted to try out a matte black pencil liner. Having already experienced the amazingness of the Gelpresso liners, I decided to give the brand's Waterproof Pencil Liner in Killer Black a go.
I assumed that this liner would be just as amazing as the Gelpresso, but unfortunately not...

The pencil itself and swatches.

The colour is strong but requires a few strokes in order to achieve a 'killer black' look.
It is smudgeproof and waterproof since I have yet to experience any smudging with my every day look, and it has done very well against my contact lens eye drops - I tend to miss my eyeball a lot.
That's all the good points of the liner I guess.

In terms of bad, unfortunately the pencil is quite hard so it's best to apply with with a light hand. However, somtimes the colour fails to transfer nicely onto your lids with a light hand and requires a bit of pressure. This results in the slight tugging of skin, which is highly undesirable.
I've also noticed that there is a bit of 'fallout' with the liner as you apply it sometimes, a few bits tend to land somewhere on my cheekbone. Luckily when I dust it away it doesn't leave marks on my skin.
On average, I probably spend a tiny bit more time applying this liner than my Gelpresso one since it is less forgiving as I'm applying it with more pressure. With the Gelpresso I can easily smudge out the liner seconds after application before it sets, so I can easily smooth out the line. However, for this liner it's fairly harder to smudge out in comparison. The reason why I have suddenly decided to try out pencil liners is because of its convenience - I take far too long in applying my Bobbi Brown gel liner still!

My every day look
Pros
  • Lives up to 'killer black' result - strong black line
  • Great for producing clean and sharp lines
  • Twist-up pencil with sharpener provided
  • Smudgeproof
  • Waterproof

Cons
  • Hard pencil = slight tugging of skin
  • Pressing lightly does not transfer colour easily
  • Possible 'pencil fallout'
  • Smudges when you tightline on bare eyes - unprepped eyes (only eye cream/gel) with no powder to mattify it

Result
3/5 ★★★☆☆
Although I love the end result of this liner, the things you have to experience to achieve it is not really worth it in the long run. Tugging of the eye's skin area is never a good thing.
Would I repurchase this pencil liner? Nah.
But would I recommend it? Perhaps. Only if you really want to use a pencil that produces really clean and bold lines.

If only CLIO offered a matte black colour of the Gelpresso liner it would be perfect! *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment