Tuesday 21 February 2012

Jesus Fucking Christ, what the fuck did I just read?

"It may look all lovely and shoujo-like with it's cutesy drawings but it can turn out be a fucking sick mind fucker."



As usual, when I'm bored and reluctant to commit myself to (almost 100) pages and pages of academic reading, I would scrounge through Mangafox's recently updated manga's to find something to read - read probably isn't the best word for it but what else?
Primarily I would look for titles that I have read before, am familiar and am content with. Today none of the said titles were updated, so I moved onto my seconadry tactic: hunting down a new manga to read.

I came across one entitled Arisa, the art was gorgeous and it was highly rated! Additionally, it was a shoujo, wahey! Thadump thadump story here I come!
But oh no, I forgot about the 'mystery' genre that was tagged onto it, along with 'psychological'...



I went through such phases:
  1. Aww, the separated twins can finally meet again!
  2. Taking advantage of the identical looks and snooping around in each other's schools? Sounds cliched, but that's okay! They'll find a boy to romance on in each other's schools! Wahoo! The thadump thadump story I had been looking for!
  3. Oh, she has a boyfriend, okay then the other twin-
  4. ...what's with the sudden suicide?
  5. ...why the fuck are they chanting King?
  6. Okay this class is messed up.
  7. Why am I still reading this?
  8. Who the fuck is the King?
  9. HE'S THE KING!
  10. OMG, HER ALLY CAN'T BE THE KING. FUCK NO.
  11. OH NEVERMIND, SHE'S THE KING...OH WAIT...
  12. NO, THIS ONE IS THE KING! JUST LOOK AT HIM AND THAT CREEPY SMILE!
  13. ...OH WHAT, SO HE'S THE KING NOW?!
  14. ...You fucking serious, THAT'S the reason?!
A rollercoaster I tell you.

Jesus fucking christ this manga is messed up. I'm sure there are other messed up mangas out there far more messed up than this, but...dear God.

A few criticisms...

Personally I dislike it when characters are blown out of proportion, exaggerated, and unrealistic. Now this manga definitely had them. Seriously, the entire class had mental problems, each and everyone of them.
How the fuck can you think that it's okay to kill someone as long as some powerful unknown being is doing for you?

How can the teachers not notice that something is wrong with that class? How can they not notice the trash pile on top of one student's desk and not do anything about it? How can they not notice the bullied child's distress? And why the fuck aren't they checking in on the children during their Friday 4th periods? Don't you notice the mysteriously drawn curtains?! What, do you think they can study in the dark or something?

*breathes*

Nevertheless I was hooked onto this manga. Mainly because of: "WHO IS THE FUCKING KING AND WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING THIS?!"
Secondly because the storyline had so many twists, and it was so fucking complex compared to the average manga out there (well, more like the common manga that I always read...)
Thirdly, although it was tagged as shoujo and romance, there's no lovey dovey shit in here, oh no. There is a pairing/couple, but you don't really see them acting all lovey dovey, one's in a coma throughout the series after all. The manga makes you want to believe that another pairing would appear, but the plotline is so heavily focused on the mystery the two characters never make a bond, it's like watching Bleach again.

Never judge a manga by its cover. It may look all lovely and shoujo-like with it's cutesy drawings but it can turn out be a fucking sick mind fucker.

Now in the next post I shall discuss how beautiful The Moon That Embraces The Sun is and how that too is sending me into a rollercoaster of emotions on a weekly basis.
I'm living in the torture period here people.

No comments:

Post a Comment